Monday, August 6, 2018

15.7.18 Interpretation of "Somebody that I used to know" by Gotye


Song: Somebody that I used to know
Artist: Gotye
Year: 2011
Source: Key of Awesome
Trivia:This was the most streamed song of 2012 on the online music service, Spotify

Summary: Missing a person with whom things ended abruptly.

Lyrics:
Now and then I think of when we were together
Like when you said you felt so happy you could die
Told myself that you were right for me
But felt so lonely in your company
But that was love and it's an ache I still remember

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
Like resignation to the end, always the end
So when we found that we could not make sense
Well you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I was glad that it was over

But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough
No you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records and then change your number
I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know
Now you're just somebody that I used to know
Now you're just somebody that I used to know

Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over
But had me believing it was always something that I'd done
And I don't wanna live that way
Reading into every word you say
You said that you could let it go
And I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know

But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough
No you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records and then change your number
I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know
Somebody, I used to know
(Somebody) Now you're just somebody that I used to know
Somebody, I used to know
(Somebody) Now you're just somebody that I used to know
I used to know, that I used to know, I used to know somebody

Interpretation:
Song starts with the guy remembering his relationship with a girl whom he thought he loved and could make it work. The girl was happier than him, there were problems in the relationship burdening him which he could not express  as he felt that her happiness is of more importance. He ended up  feeling lonely in her company. He still loved her despite her faults even though it hurt him. 
His goal was to get through each day , waiting & hoping that one day she realizes and changes her character while understanding his love and care for her and return the same back. In the end the problems outgrew his love and they decided to end it. 
After the breakup even though they agreed to stay as friends, she behaved like a stranger. All the time and all the things they had spoke to each other when they were in love has been invalidated now. 
All the time and effort and energy is lost forever. He is unable to express the pain he feels ie all of a sudden he is the stranger. (echoes throughout the song) 

She tells her side of the story, where the guy had not let go of his feeling for his old gf and how it affected the mood of the relationship. May be he was unconsciously comparing his relationship to her with his ex - gf and not seeing her as good as his x.

The guy now argues that it may be true up to an extent but the treatment which he is receiving from her after the breakup is totally uncalled for, as though "they" never existed. Now she is just a person that he used to know.

The filmmaker who made this video on a tiny budget talks about the meaning she has embedded in this music video.






Shots:



Cover:


Parody:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...