Friday, June 22, 2018

22-6-18 Tupac- Ghetto Gospel

Song: Ghetto Gospel
Band: Tupac & Elton John
Source: Youtube
Trivia: Written by Tupac, released after his death.

Interpretation
Those who wish to follow me
My ghetto gospel
I welcome with my hands
And the red sun sinks at last into the hills of gold
And peace to this young warrior without the sound of guns

Tupac talks about his life growing up, where making a living and making it large in the neighborhood meant climb the crime ladder. He wished that everyone i.e the kids in the block give this up and try and make an honest living.

If I could recollect before my hood dayz
I'd sit and reminisce, nigga and bliss on the good dayz.
I stop and stare at the younger, my heart goes to'em
They tested, it was stress that they under.
And nowadays, things changed
Everyone's ashamed of the youth cuz the truth looks strange
And for me it's reversed, we left em a world thats cursed, and it hurts
Cuz any day they'll push the button.
And yall condemned like malcom x and uncle bob
They died for nuthin.
Dont let them get me teary, the world looks dreary
But when you wipe your eyes you see it clearly.
Theres no need for you to fear me.
If you take the time to hear me, maybe you can learn to cheer me.
It aint about black or white, cuz we're human
I hope you see the light before its ruined
My ghetto gospel


He talks about how his life was better before the hood days. He liked everything around him, but now he is hurt that the kids  are exposed to violence, drugs and crime.
He feels that Malcom X and Uncle Bob's death are nullified by the way the things are right now.
And the world looks more messed up each day. Amidst all the things that are going around the world it is easy to get lost into the feeling of helplessness and feel overwhelmed about them, but he asks the reader to clear their vision and thinking to find the away and seek the light of hope. He want the reader and everyone to see and envision what he is trying to communicate i.e a better world with no suffering and no racism. All lives matter.

Scene from Step Up (film) I-Part where Mac Carter's brother gets influenced to steal a car and is shot in cold blood. This music video reminded me of this movie, as even it has a scene where a mother is crying over he child's tragic death.


Tell me do you see that old lady, aint it sad
Livin out a bag, plus she’s glad for the little things she has
And over there there’s a lady, crack got her crazy.
Guess who’s givin birth to a baby
I don’t trip and let it fade me, from out of the fryin pan
We jump into another form of slavery.
Even now i get discouraged.
Wonder if they take it all back will i still keep the courage
I refuse to be a role model.
I take hoes, keep control, drink out my old bottle.
I make mistakes, but learn from everyone.
And when its said and done,
Ill bet this brother be a better one.
If I’m upset, you don’t stress.
Never forget, god hasn’t finished with me yet.
I feel his hands on my brain.
When i write ryhmes, i go blind, and let the lord do his thang.
But am i less holy,
Cuz I choose to puff a blunt and drink a beer with my homies
Before we find world peace
We gotta find peace in that war on the streets
My ghetto gospel.


He talks a parable about 2 different women, the first one barely gets by the day with the money she makes. She doesn't even have a place to stay, but she is thankful for what she has. The second lady is a drug-addict and like all addicts her problems are piling up. Like in the first stanza he is more concerned about the child the second lady is going to bring into the world and what future will it hold. Even though slavery is abolished, this life of crime and violence has crippled the
ghetto and is indeed another form of disease. He is unsure if he will still be as courageous as he is today if freedom is taken away from him. He is still afraid that things can get worse within a flash of a second. He says that he cannot lead an ideal life and he doesnt see himself setting an example
for the kids on the block. But he strongly believes that little by little he can set and influence the life of the listener\reader\everyone in the ghetto to give their best daily and make a better and importantly a honest living for themselves.

At times he is upset thinking about all the sad things that are happening around in
the world\ghetto, but he trust God very much and he believes that God would use him
to turn people to the light and to the promised, peaceful life through his rhymes.
He wants the society to come together and put an end to all the crimes & hate mongering
& problems like racism. Then it would be possible to have world peace. Thereby creating
a better future for our children. 

Favorite Shot from the Video:

Favorite Cover: Song starts at 1:00

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...